Wednesday, May 5, 2010

ILN-terviews: Michael Samuel, Miller Samuel LLP

Welcome to ILN-terviews, a series of profiles of ILN member firm attorneys, designed to give a unique insight into the lawyers who make up our Network.

For our latest interview, we chose ILN member, Michael Samuel of Miller Samuel LLP in Scotland.

In one sentence, how would you describe your practice?
A bespoke niche practice offering quality and specific services to clients at competitive rates.

Who would be your typical client?
Not easy to categorise, but we like to act for successful business entrepreneurs, medium to high net worth individuals, and for quoted and unquoted companies.

What would you like clients and potential clients to know about you?
We would like clients, potential and otherwise, to know that we care primarily about their needs and requirements, and that this is a fundamental part of our philosophy.

What has been your most challenging case? Why?
I deal with private clients. My most challenging case some years ago was when I was able to achieve a result favourable to my clients, in a question of succession to an Estate, contrary to the opinion of the foremost legal authority. Simply put, he said, "you can't do it!" Well, we did it!!!!!

What has been your proudest moment as a lawyer?
I was appointed Dean of our local Faculty for three years in 2005 - the Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow (its proper Title). It has 2,000 members. What was important is you can't apply for the job - you are asked by your peers. I looked upon this as kind of a legal Oscar.

What do you do when you're not practicing law?
I read as much as I can, play tennis as much as the weather permits, watch soccer, and of course, there are many family commitments.

What would surprise people most about you?
I am as old as I am.

What has been your most memorable ILN experience?
I have wonderful memories, but hosting the European Meeting some years ago at Loch Lomond has to be the best of these. The stunned faces of the delegates and companions that cold grey misty Friday night at Stirling Castle when the pipers and dancers emerged from the swirling mist to put on their display was unforgettable.

What career would you have chosen if you weren't a lawyer?
I think my father earmarked me as a lawyer from birth.  He was a dentist. I qualified at 21, so there wasn't much time to think about anything else. I've not really come across another career in that time which I think I might have preferred.

If a movie were made out of your life, who would you want to play you?
Billy Connolly (joking perhaps, but at least he has a sense of humour).

How would you like to be remembered?
Not for a long time!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment