Wednesday, October 28, 2009

ILN-terviews: Santiago Mejia Ortiz, Mejia-Armenteros & Abreu


Welcome to ILN-terviews, a series of profiles of ILN member firm attorneys, designed to give a unique insight into the lawyers who make up our Network.

For our latest interview, we chose ILN member, Santiago Mejia Ortiz of Mejia-Armenteros & Abreu in the Dominican Republic.

In one sentence, how would you describe your practice?
As a small "family comprised" law firm trying to position itself internationally without losing the small firm approach.

Who would be your typical client?
Individuals and medium sized companies doing business in the Dominican Republic, although we've served big companies as well.

What would you like clients and potential clients to know about you?
That despite being a young lawyer in a young firm, clients can be sure they'll be getting top class legal services from me and my firm.

What has been your most challenging case? Why?
I think it was representing a big client in a substantial concession contract with a multinational company in a cross border transaction, because I was the counterpart for very experienced and well-known old lawyers, looking down to me because I was younger than all of them.  It was challenging and rewarding at the same time.

What has been your proudest moment as a lawyer?
Every time I make my client feel satisfied with the result of my work.

What do you do when you're not practicing law?
Mostly, I love spending time with my family and especially with my soon-to-be 5 year old son.  Also, I am an Amateur Radio Operator as well.  Ah, I've opened a coffee shop business too!

What would surprise people most about you?
That although I can seem shy sometimes, I tend to have a great sense of humor...(everyone reading this must be thinking "What?! Really?? Wouldn't think so!").

What has been your most memorable ILN experience?
Without any doubt, my first meeting in the Bahamas presenting our firm!  And the immediate acceptance and friendship I've received from everybody, making me feel welcome right away. Regional and Annual Meetings are such a great experience - in each of them I've been given the chance to know great people and really initiate friendships that hopefully will remain. 

What career would you have chosen if you weren't a lawyer?
Maybe an entrepreneur or an industrial engineer.

If a movie were made out of your life, who would you want to play you?
If it was my call...Al Pacino. But probably the casting crew will pick Jim Carrey.

How would you like to be remembered?
By everybody: as an honest man with a good heart and a good sense of humor. By my family: as a worthy role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment