Monday, November 9, 2009

ILN-terviews: Bruce Feuchter, Stradling Yocca Carlson & Rauth


Welcome to ILN-terviews, a series of profiles of ILN member firm attorneys, designed to give a unique insight into the lawyers who make up our Network.

For our latest interview, we chose ILN member, Bruce Feuchter of Stradling Yocca Carlson & Rauth in Newport Beach, California.

In one sentence, how would you describe your practice?
A flourishing emerging growth corporate securities practice, consisting of start-up to public companies, both medical device and technology companies.

Who would be your typical client?
Venture Capital-backed medical device companies with exciting technologies.

What would you like clients and potential clients to know about you?
I know their market, I understand their needs, and how to solve their problems.  I enjoy working with entrepreneurs.

What has been your most challenging case? Why?
The most challenging transaction that I have ever been the lead attorney for was the acquisition of an aerospace company back in 1991.  The company was into many defense programs, some of which were highly classified. Since they were classified, we could do no due diligence on those programs or even know about them.  An example of such a program was the exhaust system for the Stealth Fighter. The transaction required a layer of venture capital for equity, and three different levels of debt with four different lenders.  It was undertaken during the time of the great downsizing of the aerospace industry in Southern California.  Eleven years later, the business was sold, again a difficult transaction.  The result for the owners was a good return, not a great return. 

What has been your proudest moment as a lawyer?
On January 1, 1985, I became a shareholder in my law firm and on January 21, 1985, I became a father for the first time. What a change in life that time was.

What do you do when you're not practicing law?
I am only now learning golf, the children are now gone.  I ski a little each year, and I seem to go to a great number of charitable events.

What would surprise people most about you?
That after 30 years in Southern California, my passion is still skiing, not surfing.  I do not do it often, but a little snow cat skiing or a little helicopter skiing can make my year.

What has been your most memorable ILN experience?
I travel and visit members of the ILN in different places in the world; getting to know them fills me with wonder, finding how similar we are and how much we think alike on a number of topics.

What career would you have chosen if you weren't a lawyer?
A CEO of an energy efficiency company or an alternate energy company.
If a movie were made out of your life, who would you want to play you?
No idea today. Thirty years ago, I would have said Robert Redford and recently, I would have said Harrison Ford.

How would you like to be remembered?
As a person who was interested in so many different things. I like to think of myself as an interested and trusted advisor to many entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment